Prologue
Scotland 2008. Sarah anxiously stared through the window as she sat at her dressing table dressed in her stunning ivory white wedding gown. Where on earth was Tindo? she thought. Out of all the days, this was the one day that he could not be late - the day of her wedding. She wanted everything to be perfect as she was marrying the perfect man.
Suddenly there was a soft tap on the door, which made her turn around in anticipation. A heavily pregnant Melanie came in and sat beside her. Sarah tried to hide her disappointment. It was good to see Melanie even though she was not whom Sarah had been anxiously waiting for.
“Are you alright Mel?” asked Sarah concerned with the way Melanie was walking.
“Sure no sweat.”
“Are you sure? We could have the paramedics and Greg on standby because you look like you’re about to pop any minute.” They both laughed and heaved a great big sigh and then sat in silence as if each one was waiting for the other to start the conversation.
“Is he here Mel?” asked Sarah abruptly.
“No not yet. Don’t worry he’ll be here,” said Melanie trying to be reassuring.
“Why isn’t he answering his mobile? He can’t be late.”
“Hey Pumpkin, he’ll be here. Trust me…Listen, you just focus on being beautiful and enjoying this day because there is no one who deserves it more than you.” Melanie rubbed Sarah’s hand affectionately.
“Thanks Mel. I just keep on having this feeling that something bad might happen.”
“Pumpkin nothing bad is going to happen. You’re just getting cold feet and that’s natural.”
“You mean like when you had an asthmatic attack on your wedding day and managed to get Greg in a state? !”
“Yeah pretty much” she smiled. Sarah stood up and started pacing up and down the room.
“It’s just that I can’t deal with things when they’re not all in place.”
“That’s because you’re a perfectionist. Don’t pressure yourself sweetheart - you look gorgeous, it’s a gorgeous day and you’re marrying a man that loves you to death...Look come and sit down with me Pumpkin.”
“I know, I know.” She came to sit next to Melanie by flopping herself on the bed.
“This might be a stupid question especially at this point in time, but do you love him?” Melanie looked at Sarah through her soft eyes as she asked this.
“Do you mean…?” asked Sarah.
“Well who else could I mean? You’re only marrying one man!” said Melanie with a hint of sarcasm.
Sarah paused and looked at Melanie as if pondering on how to answer that question. “Mel when you talked about cold feet I thought, no not possible. I just want Tindo to be here. Mel I love him so much.”
“What? Do you mean Tindo?”
“No, stupid. Are you listening or not?”
“I am listening. It’s just that you’re mixing things up here and getting things all confused.”
“Ok just to clarify things, in case you didn’t know, Tindo is our best friend that is giving me away,” said Sarah sarcastically.
Scotland 2008. Sarah anxiously stared through the window as she sat at her dressing table dressed in her stunning ivory white wedding gown. Where on earth was Tindo? she thought. Out of all the days, this was the one day that he could not be late - the day of her wedding. She wanted everything to be perfect as she was marrying the perfect man.
Suddenly there was a soft tap on the door, which made her turn around in anticipation. A heavily pregnant Melanie came in and sat beside her. Sarah tried to hide her disappointment. It was good to see Melanie even though she was not whom Sarah had been anxiously waiting for.
“Are you alright Mel?” asked Sarah concerned with the way Melanie was walking.
“Sure no sweat.”
“Are you sure? We could have the paramedics and Greg on standby because you look like you’re about to pop any minute.” They both laughed and heaved a great big sigh and then sat in silence as if each one was waiting for the other to start the conversation.
“Is he here Mel?” asked Sarah abruptly.
“No not yet. Don’t worry he’ll be here,” said Melanie trying to be reassuring.
“Why isn’t he answering his mobile? He can’t be late.”
“Hey Pumpkin, he’ll be here. Trust me…Listen, you just focus on being beautiful and enjoying this day because there is no one who deserves it more than you.” Melanie rubbed Sarah’s hand affectionately.
“Thanks Mel. I just keep on having this feeling that something bad might happen.”
“Pumpkin nothing bad is going to happen. You’re just getting cold feet and that’s natural.”
“You mean like when you had an asthmatic attack on your wedding day and managed to get Greg in a state? !”
“Yeah pretty much” she smiled. Sarah stood up and started pacing up and down the room.
“It’s just that I can’t deal with things when they’re not all in place.”
“That’s because you’re a perfectionist. Don’t pressure yourself sweetheart - you look gorgeous, it’s a gorgeous day and you’re marrying a man that loves you to death...Look come and sit down with me Pumpkin.”
“I know, I know.” She came to sit next to Melanie by flopping herself on the bed.
“This might be a stupid question especially at this point in time, but do you love him?” Melanie looked at Sarah through her soft eyes as she asked this.
“Do you mean…?” asked Sarah.
“Well who else could I mean? You’re only marrying one man!” said Melanie with a hint of sarcasm.
Sarah paused and looked at Melanie as if pondering on how to answer that question. “Mel when you talked about cold feet I thought, no not possible. I just want Tindo to be here. Mel I love him so much.”
“What? Do you mean Tindo?”
“No, stupid. Are you listening or not?”
“I am listening. It’s just that you’re mixing things up here and getting things all confused.”
“Ok just to clarify things, in case you didn’t know, Tindo is our best friend that is giving me away,” said Sarah sarcastically.
1
*************************************************************************************
“Ha, ha very funny,” said Mel
“I do try my best. Anyway seriously, I’ve waited for this man for like an eternity...and I think I’ve got another chance at forever …” Another soft tap at the door interrupted. Carmello the wedding planner popped her head from behind the door.
“Can I come in?”
“Yeah sure Carmello,” said Sarah beckoning Carmello to come in.
“Well we’re all set thank God. Tindo is here!” said Carmello with a smile.
“Thank God for that,” exclaimed Sarah.
“Ditto!,” shouted Melanie.
“Sarah you look gorgeous and so do you maid of honour. Now, Sarah this is your moment. Just one quick thing; Tindo has someone here to see you.” Carmello surveyed Sarah up and down.
“Oh no. Not again. I’m going to wring his neck when I see him,” said Sarah shaking her head.
“Don’t ruin your make up darling. Now come on, bouquet in hand and let us go. Don’t worry we still have plenty of time,” said Carmello
“I love you Sarah,” said Melanie with tears in her eyes.
Sarah turned round and smiled “I love you too. Now don’t you start. !”
All three of them exited the beautiful cottage and walked on the gravel driveway. The scenery was beautiful with a panoramic view of the Irish Sea. The weather was perfect with the soft scent of magnolia in the air. A short distance away was the grand castle where the wedding ceremony would take place and that‘s where her husband to be was waiting for her. A black Mercedes had been parked outside the cottage. Sarah walked towards the car in order to see who was in it. Before she got to the car, she saw someone dart across the croquet lawn in a black tuxedo. She immediately recognised who it was and shouted out to the person.
“Tindo Jonasi what the hell are you playing at?” Tindo stopped abruptly. He had seen Sarah and had tried to dash across the lawn before she spotted him. His plan had obviously failed.
“What are you doing? You’re supposed to be with me remember.”
“Calm down sis. I can explain. Don’t get yourself worked up.”
Sarah turned round to Melanie and Carmello and spoke with a hint of irritation. “Am I the only one that realises that today is my wedding day and I need to have someone to give me away? I don’t know. Maybe I missed something. Did I miss something?”
“It’s ok Sarah. There is a good reason. Look, calm down.” Melanie was pointing at someone who had come out from the passenger seat of the black Mercedes. Sarah turned round to see what Melanie was pointing at. Standing in front of her was an elderly man in a crisp, expensive navy blue suit leaning on an immaculately carved wooden walking stick.
“Hello Poppet, “said the man with tears swelling up in his eyes.
Overwhelmed with joy Sarah ran towards the elderly man and went straight into his arms. “Uncle Peter!” she exclaimed. Tindo watched in the distance in relief and joy. He gave a thumbs up to Melanie who acknowledged him then he made his way to the castle.
She held onto him so tight that if she carried on she definitely would have sucked all the air out of the man.
“There, there now Poppet,” said the old man as Sarah let go of him.
“Did they release you just for today Uncle?” she said in excitement.
“No dear I’m out for good.” He said this with pride and satisfaction.
2
*************************************************************************************
“Out for good? What do you mean?” asked Sarah surprised.
“It means I’ve paid my dues dear and I’m a free man!”
Sarah jumped for joy and hugged him again. “That’s such good news. Why didn’t you tell me. I would have come to meet you?”
“No dear I wanted to surprise you and thanks to your good friend Tindo, I succeeded. Now my beautiful young girl we need to get you down to that Castle where that eager young man is waiting for you.”
This was the best thing that had happened to her so far. Uncle Peter was right here at the castle ready to give her away. She loved Tindo dearly, he had done the most honourable thing to offer to give her away, and of course, under the circumstances he was the best person to do the job. However, right now with Uncle Peter and his arm interlocked with hers was the most natural thing. She had needed her father with her and having Uncle Peter here made everything perfect.
Perfect but puzzling, considering the fact that he had been sentenced to 28 years in prison but had only served for two. ‘I’m a free man’ is what he said to her, but how was that possible? Two years ago Peter Donaldson had pleaded guilty to 10 federal corruption charges. He was sentenced to a minimal 28 years, largely because of his outstanding contribution to the development of the city of London and also because he turned himself in and helped the American authorities with the investigation. Although his sentence was considerably cut by half, at his age 28 years was just as good as a death sentence. Two years ago his associates - Montpellier Ross, Jules Garson and Andrew Thompson were all ‘let off the hook’, as was quoted by the Guardian and USA today. How was that possible since they were in it together?
‘I’ve paid my dues’ is what he said to her. It would have been interesting to know how much he paid to get himself out of that maximum-security prison where several law-abiding citizens of the nation of Zimbabwe felt that he belonged. Well, all this was the last thing on Sarah’s mind. She was getting married and the man who had loved her, as a father should, was here to give her away - perfect.
“So we’ll have no more snivelling. Shall we go Poppet?” said Peter.
Sarah held her bouquet, of three red roses, in her hands and trying not to cry tears of joy looked at her Uncle Peter and responded, “Yes…dad.” Uncle Peter had tears gushing down his cheeks as he heaved a sigh of relief then proudly walked Sarah along the beautiful magnolia pathway towards the grand castle.
Melanie the maid of honour and Carmello the wedding planner, both in tears of joy, followed behind.
It was a joyous day indeed. Everyone and everything looked perfect and in place. But there was one question that needed answering. This was the one thing that I wanted the answer for - How had Sarah managed to forgive her Uncle Peter, after all that he had done? His abuse and exploitation of people and all the lies was, according to the average person, unforgivable. She had even forgiven the man that she was about to marry. He didn’t deserve to be invited back into her life, but here he was, ready to tie the eternal knot. It just didn’t make sense and any person who would have heard her story would have wanted to hear a reasonable explanation as to why?
Here therefore is the the account of Sarah Witt’s story so that you can judge for yourself. Her story started on October 15th 1971 - way before she was born!
3
****************************************************************************************
2 comments:
Interesting chapter. I'm interesting to read the rest of the book.
Thank you anonymous. I hope that you find the book life changing! God bless
Post a Comment